Monday, January 23, 2006

Save the last dance

for me...toot toot...hey...beep beep!!!

Yeah baby...picture it.

Me and Thumper, birthday party, Sunday, after 5 hours of church, Sunday school and Scouts and Me.

Let's just say Mamma was ready to get her YAYA's out!

So we arrive at Sparkles! The whole name "Sparkles" just radiates, bright, clean, wholesome family fun right?

Well check on the wholesome, family fun part.

The bright, clean part? Not so much.

I walk in the door and instantly my senses are assailed by some unholy mix that was equal parts, mildew, sweat, decay, neglect...ACK

Thumper, having attended a birthday party at said "establishment" earlier in the school year, looked at me sympathetically and said "It DOES stink.... huh Mommy?"

Bright? I think somebody forgot to pay the power bill.

But I put on my mommy "game" face and forge ahead to the sign in tables

Yes........ we are with the So and So party

Yes..........we would like inline skates

Yes....... we will sign your nice little form, absolving you of all liability despite the fact that your establishment should have been closed down by the health department years ago.

Moving on.

We wait in line, get our skates, I have to take a MEN'S size TEN because that's all they have left and they are CRACKED! No seriously, there is a crack in the shell of the boot.

I mean I know I am a whopping 5'10" in my stocking feet, but I was SWIMMING in the 10's.

Sigh

So I tighten them the best I can, adjust Thumper's boots, grab his hand and step out onto the "dance floor"

And we had a BALL!

Those who know me, know I used to ice skate competitively. So the whole thing with roller blades wasn't that much of a transition except for

CRAP

Like skiing, you can't use outside edges (smacking forehead and dusting derriere off gingerly)

Other than that little hurdle, Thumper and I had a grand old time, shaking our groove thangs, cha cha'ing and otherwise acting like complete goofballs.

Sometimes...it's good to be the Queen!

2 comments:

Corrie said...

Fun! It's great when adults have fun at kids' birthday parties, they usually stink in more than your literal way!

wendy said...

glad to know you fell on your ass at least once....good to be humbled every so often....:P