The literary festival was fabulous!
At least according to my criteria.
And the male faction of my little harem gave it a big booyah because they wandered off to a little history museum in the courthouse while I was being entertained by one of my favorite authors.
Diana Gabladon, she's up for a Qwill award and considering what she writes and how she writes is true testament to her genius.
And she's funny, as in "I can't laugh too hard or take a breath because I'll miss three other really, REALLY killer lines and I don't care if she's said it dozens of times before she is BRILLIANT!"
What's not to love about a woman (with a doctorate addressing the migratory nesting habits of Eastern American songbirds birds) who can respond to THIS query by a member of the German press, "What is the appeal of a man in a kilt" and responds by saying, "Well the thought he could have me up against the wall in 10 minutes"
I rest my case.
So after the festival, which was woefully lacking in really engaging children's activites (I have an email in draft form to the organizers, very supportive with just some very concrete suggestions and observations) we went to to the Dekalb Farmers Market.
Let me tell you.
If anyone has EVER thought of Atlanta as anything BUT an International city, I challenge you to the experience that which is the Dekalb (pronounced DuhCab) Farmer's Market.
First off... I have to say that the "NO photography allowed
inside" sign, cut me to the quick. I sooooooooooo wanted to take pictures. But. The owner. He be savvy. No photography, no stealing of trade secrets.
But oh my soul. If I could paint with words what I could capture with photographs.
The colors and the aromas and sheer insane variety of food spilling out of the stalls. And the HUGE whole fish swimming in aquarium sized vats. And the prices....please. I paid 7.99 a pound for wild Coho Alaskan salmon. It's 17.99 at my local grocery store.
And then there are the flags.
Flags representing every nation, of every employee working at the market.....fluttering from the rafters.
A BIG beautiful teaming mass of language and dress and culture.
It was like being in the UN, only 600 miles south.
My children were mesmerized. I was in heaven.
Therefore, I have decreed that every other Sunday afternoon, we shall make the short 20 minute drive to fill our fridge and expand our minds.
Viva la difference!
No comments:
Post a Comment