Monday, September 11, 2006

Helping Hands

Today on the 5th anniversary of 9-11, at 8:40 AM, I pressed send calls on my phone at work so it went straight to voice mail, no ring. I kept it on for 20 minutes. No one called. (I checked aftwerwards of course) And I used the time to think, reflect, pray and give thanks.

My boys, however, they did something much more tangible. It may have no impact on future lives. It may have an impact on their lives down the road. Or both. I may know in time or never know.

It doesn't really matter.

Today, their entire school participated in it's first community service day, as one body.

Wearing special T-shirts emblazoned with a logo of hands spanning the earth and holding a heart and the motto "Helping Hands Day" they climbed aboard extra buses that transported them to different worlds. Flung them to the far reaches of Metro Atlanta. Far from their white bread, upper middle class, privileged, safe lives.

My oldest picked up trash at Nicholas House an organization that provides up to two years of housing to homeless families as they learn a career, manage money and other skills that we all take for granted, I think.

He told me "Mom, this is supposed to be a drug free zone, but I spent my whole day picking up beer bottles and cigarette butts"

All I could think was "Oh baby, if that's all the trash you picked up.............."


My youngest, made sandwiches and packed first aid kits.

This isin't the first time that either of them have made sandwiches for the homeless. They are quite expert at the art of PBJ assembly.

But this time Thumper, after working at the task all day long, climbed in at carpool and asked "Mommy....I made PBJ's ALL DAY and the teachers tell me it's not enough for everyone....how many ARE there? Can we stop and get some more bread and jelly and peanut butter and do some more tonight? Will THAT be enough?"

Oh baby. Not enough, not nearly enough.

But if only a small percentage of the kids who were touched by what they saw and did and felt today remains....then we may have the start of a quiet revolution, in our own very small little corner of the world.

Never forget. Never give up. Believe always.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm all teared up. May God bless those wonderful hearts your two boys have.